IBC: Indigenous Women Loan Fund
“What would it take to ensure that every Indigenous woman in Canada had the opportunity to become an entrepreneur?”
The Context for Change
The impakt Approach
impakt found an intersectional viewpoint to be essential to these recommendations; which is to say that considering multiple coexisting identities, such as race and gender, is critical to understanding the diverse barriers Indigenous women face.
From our work together, we generated three concrete recommendations:
- Develop gender-specific programming, managed by and for Indigenous women;
- Create a dedicated fund for Indigenous women’s entrepreneurship; and
- Leverage the latest communications technology to build awareness and facilitate access.
- Current fund value of $5MM
- 70 small business loans averaging $110,000
- ⅓ of IBC customers are now women
- Created over 110 full-time and part-time jobs
90% of participants believe that being an IBC client has had a positive impact on their families and children.